Musee Leon Dierx
The Musee Leon Dierx is an art museum located in Saint-Denis, the capital city of the French overseas department, Reunion Island, in the southwest of the Indian Ocean. The museum stands on Rue de Paris and is part of the African Modern Art collection.
The inception of the museum dates back to the mid-19th century when the intellectual and political elites of Reunion called for the establishment of a museum dedicated to the "Fine Arts." However, it wasn't until the early 20th century that the museum came to fruition, thanks to the efforts of two Creole childhood friends, Georges Athénas and Aimé Merlo, known in literature under the pseudonym of Marius-Ary Leblond. The General Council (then called the Colonial Council) of Reunion supported their initiative and allocated the former residence of the bishops of Saint-Denis for the project.
The museum was inaugurated on November 12, 1912, making it the second museum to be established in Reunion after the Museum of Natural History. Since its inception, the museum has been named after Leon Dierx, a Reunionese poet, painter, and sculptor.
Visitors to the Musee Leon Dierx can admire a wide range of artworks, including the sea by Numa Desjardins, prints by Alfred Richard, a bronze by Pablo Picasso, and works from the Lucien Vollard collection, including pieces by Gustave Caillebotte, Paul Cezanne, Paul Gauguin, Auguste Renoir, Odilon Redon, and Georges Rouault. Additional highlights of the museum's collection include Louis Valtat's "Sea and Red Rocks," Maurice de Vlaminck's "Flowers," 19th-century photographs (including photographs of François Cudenet and his paintings), and paintings by local artists such as Arthur Grimaud, Adolphe Roy, Antoine-Louis Roussin, and Montmartre painter Georges Michel.
Contact Listings Owner Form
Musee Leon Dierx 0 reviewsWrite Your Review
There are no reviews yet.